Author Interview With Emily Kinney: The Island of Lote


Why did you feel you had to tell this story?
At the time, I was young (14) and determined to write a full novel. Not necessarily because I was compelled by a certain story, but out of pure principle. I had spent my youth racking up a stack of attempted and failed books and the time had come for me to conquer that quest, by gum. Which story it was didn’t really matter to me, although I did want to do a from-scratch, write-as-I-went sort of thing. Which, by the way, I don’t recommend. It’s fun and all, but unhelpful in the long run. Develop, outline, write. Trust me.

Where do you get your ideas?
Oh, man. Everywhere. And I know that’s such a cliché statement, but for me it’s really true. I’ve been working my imagination muscle ever since birth and I can literally form a story out of anything. But the most inspirational stuff for me is out-of-the-ordinary things. Some might say weird or strange or odd. I like things I can relate to.

Do you ever experience writer’s block and how do you overcome it?
I have, yes, unfortunately. It’s terrible. You will never understand the dreaded, despised, mired catastrophe writer’s block is until you experience it for yourself. How you deal with it depends upon its degree. Some days my brain simply isn’t working; I walk away and distract myself with something else. Don’t force yourself. It’s never worth it. Other times it’s like I’ve lost my ability to be a writer, and it lasts for a few weeks. It’s torture. That’s when you have to fight back. Empty your mind, and then fill it with things that typically stimulate your imagination. Go for walks. Get rest. Rejuvenate yourself. Claw through the material you already have and then manually make the gears in your mind grind together. Such a process, but you can’t just give up.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers on the writing and publishing process?
Oy. Stock up on aspirin. Also make sure you have something of an income, or at least a healthy stash saved up. I know that sounds boring and off topic, but believe me it helps. You will most likely be encountering things that are out of your control, and you want to spare yourself a lot of worry. Other than that, be intrepid. The most talented writers in the world might not ever be known because of fear. Let your passion fuel you. Understand your own abilities so that you don’t just ‘think’ you’re good. Quality is quality, period. No one can knock quality. It’s our one solid thing to cling to.

How do you market your work? Have you found some avenues to be more successful than others?
Currently, I am doing everything I can afford. Mainly online endeavors. Social networking is great. Interacting with bloggers and being featured on blogs is excellent stuff. The avenues are pretty endless when it comes to the internet. I can’t give a whole rundown because I do basically everything offered, and the description would go on forever. I do maintain a blog of short stories. That way, people can get a broader understanding of my talents.

If your book was made into a movie, who do you picture playing each part?
Ohhh, that’s a fun question. Mmmm, hard to answer, though. I think I’d want some unknowns, just to give it a super fresh feel. I would love to have Robin Williams play the voice of Bob the Conscience, though. And Dr. Dre to play the part of Dr. Dri, since that’s how I modeled the character.

********************

Synopsis
When fourteen year old Milo Hestler jets off to spend summer in Australia, the last thing she expects is for her plane to crash onto a tropical island. Rescued from the ocean by a tanned, gorgeous boy who can't speak English, Milo can't help by notice he's a little too attentive. She's grateful and all that, but, really, ever hear of personal space? Since she can't understand him, when he asks her to marry him, she accidentally says yes. When she finds out, Milo is horrified and angry, and expresses it in such a way that half the island's population is offended. She's told, with no concealment of hostility, that she has no choice. The laws there are going to force her to get married, whether she likes it or not.

********************

About the Author
Emily Kinney is a young author from Maine, who has finally had her book published after many years of struggling. She is a great lover of books and storytelling in any form. Her ultimate dream is to become a master storyteller, and is very aware that means proving to the world she is worthy. This first novel is the start of that attempt. Her many interests include hip-hop, video games, art, cooking, acting, and of course writing. She believes that authors have to represent for their craft, as other artists do. Literature, in her opinion, is just as entertaining, and truthfully better for you, than any other form out there, and it deserves to be properly respected and loved. ‘The era might be changing, but good literature is always valuable and always will be,’ Emily claims. ‘It's time that this fact is recognized by the newer generation, and the generation that I come from. I'm an Author With Attitude, and I'm Fueled By Whimsy.’ She calls herself an oddity turned commodity, and would love to meet you someday.

FOR MORE INFO
Website: http://www.idjitmind.wix.com

Blog: http://fueledbywhimsy.blog.com

Author Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/authoremilykinney

Book Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/theislandoflote

Book Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-rf7cAF-W8

BUY THE BOOK
Amazon: http://amzn.to/11SvdG7